From time to time, I give conference presentations to share my knowledge about various topics and interests. This page contains links to some of my recent presentations.
- “Finding the Story: Business Data” from the 2020 NICAR conference in New Orleans, where my colleague Paul Overberg and I taught a class about using economic data to localize business stories.
- “What’s New at the SEC,” a fireside chat I hosted with SEC Commissioner Robert Jackson Jr. at an April 2019 event organized by the New York Financial Writers’ Association.
- “Lightning Talk” from the 2017 NICAR conference in Jacksonville, where I spoke about navigating tricky situations in FOIA requests.
- “The Art & Science of the Comment Request,” a panel discussion about comment requests for data journalism stories, also from the 2017 NICAR conference in Jacksonville.
- “How a Bill Becomes a Law … in Albany,” an overview of my follow-the-money reporting on money in New York politics, from the June 2017 gathering of the National Institute on Money in State Politics.
- “Time Value of Money,” a hands-on pension accounting workshop I led at the 2016 NICAR conference in Denver
- “Watchdogging Public Spending” presentation from the March 2015 NICAR conference in Atlanta.
- “Municipal Bonds 101” workshop, an in-depth intro into the world of public finance, from the 2015 IRE conference in Philadelphia.
- My talk about government financial data at the 2015 Open Data Science Conference in Boston, Mass.